noun[mass noun] Medicine
- An inherited inability to metabolize phenylalanine which, if untreated, causes brain and nerve damage.More example sentences
- Several diseases are directly caused due to single nucleotide changes such as thalassaemia, muscular dystrophy, phenylketonuria, long QT syndrome, familial hypertrophic cardiomyopathy etc.
- Tuberous sclerosis, untreated phenylketonuria and fragile X syndrome are genetic syndromes associated with autism.
- Stem cell technology may produce cures for Alzheimer's disease; vascular growth factors may enable the body to produce its own cardiac bypasses; and the elimination of metabolic derangements may cure phenylketonuria and diabetes.
More definitions of phenylketonuriaDefinition of phenylketonuria in:
- The US English dictionary