Entry from US English dictionary
1A menu-driven system that routes callers to recordings, more menus, or a person, depending on their responses: users had to navigate an elaborate phone tree before reaching a counselor
More example sentences
- On the phone tree, Press #5 for "Hot Issues."
- He couldn't get through to customer service and found himself lost in an automatic phone tree.
- Today, I finally had enough time to navigate through Register.com's phone tree and reach the right customer-service person.
2A system for contacting a large number of people quickly in which each person called then telephones a number of other designated people.
- To put your phone number on the phone tree contact John.
- Neighbors living next to the park organized themselves to watch for illicit activity and summon police response via a phone tree.
- Meetings should be held and phone trees established to develop an action plan.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: phone tree
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.