plural noun[treated as singular]
The study and classification of speech sounds: [as modifier]: a phonetics laboratory
More example sentences
- Dan is now a distinguished specialist on Amazonian languages and professor of phonetics and phonology at the fine Department of Linguistics at the University of Manchester in England.
- Transcribed excerpts of the lyrics will be analyzed with respect to phonetics, phonology, morpho-syntax, prosody, and lexis.
- Panini was a Sanskrit grammarian who gave a comprehensive and scientific theory of phonetics, phonology, and morphology.
- Example sentences
- Modern phoneticians would more precisely categorize such consonants into velar, uvular, pharyngeal, and glottal articulations.
- The phenomenon is well known to phoneticians and is called ‘coarticulation’.
- Tonight's Between The Ears deserved to win its Silver Award at the 2003 Sony Radio Awards for this fascinating venture into the darker side of recorded speech and the work of forensic phoneticians.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: phon|et¦ics
Definition of phonetics in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.