noun[mass noun] Chemistry
- A compound present (in the form of highly carcinogenic esters) in croton oil.
More example sentences
- A tetracyclic alcohol; chemical formula: C20H28O6
- Various studies on the active principles of the manchineel tree have shown tigliane phorbol esters to be the likely cause of the severe reactions.
- This is in striking contrast to phorbol esters, which mimic G q pathway-produced DAG and cause strongly hyperactive locomotion within 1-2 hr of omnidirectional contact.
- Neutrophils stimulated to respiratory burst by phorbol myristate acetate activate IQ, and inhibitor studies have identified myeloperoxidase as the enzyme responsible.
1930s: from Greek phorbē 'fodder' (from pherbein 'to feed') + -ol.