- A sensation of a ring or spot of light produced by pressure on the eyeball or direct stimulation of the visual system other than by light.More example sentences
- These early studies were limited by problems such as flickering phosphenes and interactions between phosphenes.
- When you put an array of electrodes on the visual cortex of the brain, each electrode produces a small spot of light called a phosphene.
- This device then stimulates the visual receptors in the brain, allowing users to see shapes such as people and obstacles as a pattern of tiny bursts of light, known as phosphenes.
late 19th century: formed irregularly from Greek phōs 'light' + phainein 'to show'.
More definitions of phospheneDefinition of phosphene in:
- The US English dictionary