Definition of phosphorylate in English:
verb[with object] chiefly Biochemistry
Introduce a phosphate group into (a molecule or compound): glucose is normally phosphorylated as soon as it enters the cell
More example sentences
- This flavoprotein is a serine-threonine protein kinase able to phosphorylate its serine and threonine residues.
- Following sucrose cleavage by invertase, the liberated glucose and fructose are phosphorylated before undergoing further metabolism.
- These kinases have various substrates and have been shown to phosphorylate such diverse proteins as transcription factors, metabolic enzymes, ion pumps and cytoskeletal components.
- Example sentences
- Cytochrome oxidases are the terminal enzymes of aerobic electron transport phosphorylation.
- In animal cells serine, threonine and tyrosine are the amino acids subject to phosphorylation.
- As expected, casein phosphorylation occurred on serine and threonine residues.
Definition of phosphorylate in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan