noun[mass noun] Chemistry
The acceleration of a chemical reaction by light.
- Nevertheless, the system does demonstrate for the first time the decontamination of a bacteria-containing air stream by photocatalysis at room temperature.
- In the area of photocatalysis, developing colloidal semiconductor systems capable of converting visible light to a useful form of energy has also been the center of attention.
- The photocatalysis effect comes about because TiO 2 is a semiconductor that can absorb the high-energy component of sunlight.
- Example sentences
- This layer functions in two ways: having both photocatalytic and hydrophilic effects.
- The resulting porphyrin nanotubes have ‘interesting electronic and optical properties such as an intense resonance light scattering ability and photocatalytic activity.’
- The result of several years' research, the product incorporates a proprietary dual-action coating, using hydrophilic and photocatalytic properties to eliminate water and organic and inorganic deposits from the surface of the glass.
Definition of photocatalysis in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.