- A crystalline acid derived from benzene, with two carboxylic acid groups attached to the benzene ring.
More example sentences
- Chemical formula: C6H4(COOH)2; three isomers
- Alkyd is produced by condensation reactions between polycarboxylic acids and polyhydric alcohols - often phthalic acid or anhydride and glycerol.
- A wide range of uses has been found for various phthalic acid esters, with the largest portion of these esters being used as plasticizing agents for polyvinyl chloride products.
- Capillaries were immersed in phthalic acid, which has an index of refraction that effectively eliminates optical refraction at the outer wall.
mid 19th century: phthalic, shortening of naphthalic (see naphthalene).
More definitions of phthalic acidDefinition of phthalic acid in:
- The US English dictionary