Definition of phut in English:
Used to represent a dull abrupt sound as of a slight impact or explosion: thunderbolts go out, phut, like candles
More example sentences
- We've all been there - you've just spent the last five hours carefully crafting a document or article then phut!
- Mind you, there is also the occasional phut, phut, phut to be heard.
- With a phut from the silenced rifle, the 5.56 mm nano-shell entered through the Crab's eye.
- 1go phut
- informal Fail to work properly or at all: when the boom went phut, traders were left with sky-high rents and no customersMore example sentences
- The engineer relayed this to his colleague as ‘It went phut!’
- But the album never got to the stores last spring because 13 Amp went phut.
- Each day I would hit the record button, capturing what was fast turning into a comic drama - like when the radios went phut before California, forcing us to land at a small town called Blythe.
Late 19th century: perhaps from Hindi phaṭnā 'to burst'.
Words that rhyme with phutabut, but, butt, cut, glut, gut, hut, intercut, jut, Mut, mutt, putt, rut, scut, shortcut, shut, slut, smut, strut, tut, undercut
Definition of phut in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.