A person qualified to practise medicine, especially one who specializes in diagnosis and medical treatment as distinct from surgery: our family physician
More example sentences
- This will include treatment from specialist physicians, physiotherapists and psychologists.
- We no longer trust the caring general practitioner, the wise physician, or the conscientious surgeon.
- A small proportion of the samples were referral samples sent by physicians in private practice.
Middle English: from Old French fisicien, based on Latin physica 'things relating to nature' (see physic).
physician, heal thyself
- proverb Before attempting to correct others, make sure that you aren’t guilty of the same faults yourself.[with biblical allusion to Luke 4:23]More example sentences
- The most bizarre was a CNN discussion about whether there was too much news coverage of the crisis - physician, heal thyself!
- Clearly, it's a case of ‘physician, heal thyself’, as in, sort out the problems you and the Government are causing first before telling the rest of us that we are major contributors to inflation.
- Surprisingly, none of the assembled scientists shouted out ‘physician, heal thyself’.