noun[mass noun] Biology
- Plankton consisting of microscopic plants.More example sentences
- This in turn affects the production of microscopic plants called phytoplankton, which is the main food for the pilchard.
- This mixing leads to better growing conditions for tiny, free-floating ocean plants called phytoplankton.
- This contrast may be due in part to differences in generation time between phytoplankton and zooplankton.
More definitions of phytoplanktonDefinition of phytoplankton in:
- The US English dictionary