Definition of piazza in English:
1A public square or marketplace, especially in an Italian town.
- Here, folks stop to ‘take a coffee’ in one of the town's many piazzas, or public squares, as well as chat with friends during the nightly passeggiata, or evening stroll.
- Beaches are popular recreation areas, especially with young people, who also enjoy ‘hanging out’ at the local piazza, or town square.
- He said the proposed office blocks and apartments would be linked to the city centre and included a number of public squares, parks and piazzas.
2US archaic The veranda of a house.
- The family also built a new detached kitchen directly behind the rear piazza and converted the fireplaces in the principal rooms of the main floor to coal.
- Replicated in countless subsequent homes and public buildings, the piazza acts as a graceful connector between indoors and out.
- Enjoy your beautifully landscaped yard from your rear piazza, or your side gazebo as the warm island breezes encircles your family with comfort.
late 16th century: Italian.
Definition of piazza in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan