noun[mass noun] Medicine
A bitter compound used to stimulate the respiratory and nervous system, especially in treating barbiturate poisoning.
- This toxin is obtained from the seeds of the shrub Anamirta cocculus (family Menispermaceae)
More example sentences
- When the synapses of these inhibitory neurons are blocked by drugs (such as of picrotoxin or penicillin), the excitatory network can sustain a chain reaction leading to an epileptiform discharge.
- The only synaptic feedback to the pyloric pacemaker group through the EP to PD inhibitory synapse was removed by applying 10-5 M picrotoxin in the bath.
- Picrotoxin eliminates frequency selectivity of an auditory interneuron in a bushcricket.
mid 19th century: from Greek pikros 'bitter' + toxin.
Definition of picrotoxin in:
- The US English dictionary