- Haemorrhoids.More example sentences
- Stomach ulcers, piles, ulcerative colitis (inflammation of the colon) and bowel cancer may cause bleeding in the gut and result in anaemia.
- Haemorrhoids, also known as piles are rather like varicose veins in the canal of the anus.
- Unfortunately confusion still exists among lay people and doctors, who misuse the terms haemorrhoids and piles to cover a variety of complaints.
late Middle English: probably from Latin pila 'ball' (because of the globular form of external haemorrhoids).
More definitions of pilesDefinition of piles in:
- The US English dictionary