- An abrupt high-pitched ringing sound: the ping of the oven timerMore example sentences
- The gun's trigger guard cracked with a high-pitched ping, but the sound was pretty much lost in the screaming.
- Beeps, blips and pings are the everyday sounds that we live with, thanks to our push-button gizmos and fast-paced lifestyle.
- It will be interesting now to see, when the oven pings, if the whole confection really is a recipe for success.
verbBack to top
- 1Make or cause to make a ping: [no object]: the doorbell pinged [with object]: Victoria pinged the bellMore example sentences
- Instead of being a taut, minimal straight line, I'm a curvy, springy, unmarshalled dithering thing, unable to ping, ding or ker-ching.
- Ward got another nudge which Barton blocked and the ball pinged up from their clash and smacked the unfortunate Mills in the face before finally looping into the net.
- When the lift came to a halt and the doors pinged open with a pleasant ding the girls dragged the bags down the hallway, stopping outside of the apartment while Forever searched for her keys.
- 2 [with object] Computing Query (another computer on a network) to determine whether there is a connection to it.More example sentences
- To test your IPv6 connection, first try pinging something with the ping6 program on both the gateway and a connected host.
- Try pinging or otherwise connecting to hosts on the remote network; the connection should behave no differently from before when you brought the tunnel up.
- The laptop sitting on the center console continuously pinging at the networks being discovered.
- 2.1Send an email or other electronic message to (someone): at least a dozen people have pinged me or called to tell me thisMore example sentences
- I guess you could think of pinging as eye contact via mobile phone; just enough information is conveyed to be useful, but not so much that it disrupts what you're already doing.
- Some people ping us directly, and most of the rest comes from blogs - which polls Weblogs.com once an hour.
- To get blogs is easy nowadays and so you just spam by writing pseudo blogs and linking and pinging.
- 3US another term for pink5.
- More example sentences
- We've got a GPS for tracking, and a black box with a pinger so we can find the rocket no matter where it lands.
- He is one of 90 California fishermen who must use pingers when deploying drift nets for swordfish and thresher shark.
- There is a need for an independent study on tuna driftnetting, with observers on trial vessels, using net pingers.
mid 19th century: imitative.
More definitions of pingDefinition of ping in:
- The US English dictionary