Definition of pinna in English:
noun (plural pinnae /-niː/)
1 Anatomy & Zoology The external part of the ear in humans and other mammals; the auricle.
- Under direct vision the excessive hair follicles of the external ear canal and pinna were targeted by the laser beam.
- Patients with otitis externa experience pain on manipulation of the pinna or tragus, and their ear canal is edematous and filled with infectious debris.
- Body piercing and multiple ear piercings in the pinna, rather than the earlobe, are catching on.
2 Botany A primary division of a pinnate leaf, especially of a fern.
- Each leaf has many pinnae and a leaf axis that is subdivided into a midrib and a petiole.
- If the primary pinnae are divided, then the individual divisions are known as pinnules.
- Lepidoteris fronds typically have so-called intercalary pinnules along the rachis between the primary pinnae, and are covered with the characteristic blisters mentioned above.
Definition of pinna in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia