noun[mass noun] Biology
- The ingestion of liquid into a cell by the budding of small vesicles from the cell membrane.More example sentences
- Cells use pinocytosis to take up TCII hydroxocobalamin.
- However, small areas of low emission could be found in the cytoplasm, showing that the compound was taken up by the cells, probably by pinocytosis.
- It is possible that the chemical can gain entry into cells as small, colloidal particles via phagocytosis or pinocytosis and may also enter dead, dying or damaged cells.
late 19th century: from Greek pino 'drink' + -cytosis on the pattern of phagocytosis.
More definitions of pinocytosisDefinition of pinocytosis in:
- The US English dictionary