- 1Devoutly religious: a deeply pious womanMore example sentences
- Now the third important point related to government regulation is the aim of religion education is to develop pious and devout students.
- However, Bosch was an orthodox Christian, a member of the Brotherhood of our Lady, a pious religious confraternity.
- Both feel deeply about nature and religion, and are devotedly pious to church and religion.
- 1.1Making or constituting a hypocritical display of virtue: his pious platitudesMore example sentences
- Yes, the new EU constitution has plenty of pious words about ensuring that there should be no unfair state aids and other subsidies.
- Second, in the pious and hypocritical words of Mayor Michael Bloomberg, ‘we live in a country of laws where there can be severe consequences for those who break them.’
- There is enormous hypocrisy surrounding the pious veneration of the Constitution and ‘the rule of law.’
- 1.2 • archaic Dutiful or loyal, especially towards one’s parents.More example sentences
- Since sons and daughters were supposed to learn how to be loyal to the king by being pious to their parents, one could not easily excise the first bond.
- Proper behavior means to be loyal, filially pious respectful and trustworthy.
- 2 [attributive] (Of a hope) sincere but unlikely to be fulfilled.More example sentences
- Despite pious hopes, it is unlikely that any national government will allow the UN to tax its citizens or that taxes, like books, will be destroyed by the Web.
- Does it have anything other than a vain and pious hope that that could actually be achieved, or is the Government treating it in a cavalier fashion?
- The message was delivered through an intermediary, leaving the CIA with the pious hope that once its wishes had been made known, Viaux would respect them.
- More example sentences
- ‘But wait,’ you protest piously, ‘We are fighters for the poor.’
- It has been observed that ‘Even some of the worst hillbillies, drunks, profligates, and ex-cons piously sing gospel songs on their albums’.
- When the chocolates reached our end of the table, I piously raised my hand and said, ‘No thanks, my body is a temple.’
- More example sentences
- Your Holiness, you are regarded as one of the greatest living icons of spirituality, piousness, truthfulness and righteousness.
- Their very piousness was rooted in blind prejudice and this made them extremely interesting because they were so obviously flawed.
- Now, as you rightfully know, my sons have their fates outlined by war and piousness, as other young men have.
late Middle English: from Latin pius 'dutiful, pious' + -ous.