noun (plural same or pipefishes)
- A narrow elongated chiefly marine fish with segmented bony armour beneath the skin and a long tubular snout. The male typically has a brood pouch in which the eggs develop.
More example sentences
- Syngnathus and other genera, family Syngnathidae: numerous species
- Leafy seadragons are bony fish in the family Syngnathidae which includes seahorses and pipefishes.
- Do pipefish and seahorse males have complete confidence of paternity, as might be expected given their involved parental care?
- Genetic analysis of the gulf pipefish showed as many as four males being simultaneously ‘pregnant’ with eggs from the same female.
More definitions of pipefishDefinition of pipefish in:
- The US English dictionary