- A form of the mineral uraninite occurring in brown or black pitch-like masses and containing radium.More example sentences
- The first discovery of pitchblende in the United States was associated with gold ores at the Wood mine in Gilpin County.
- The most common ore of the element is pitchblende, although it is also present in other minerals, such as uraninite, carnotite, uranophane, and coffinite.
- The story of the Curie's four-year struggle to purify, purify, and purify over again the components of pitchblende has now been told in popular novels, plays, and motion pictures.
late 18th century: from German Pechblende, from Pech 'pitch' + Blende (see blende).
More definitions of pitchblendeDefinition of pitchblende in:
- The US English dictionary