Definition of pitfall in English:
1A hidden or unsuspected danger or difficulty: the pitfalls of buying goods at public auctions
More example sentences
- He bought some books on self-publishing and brushed up on the perils and pitfalls involved.
- No matter how often you've done this job before there are still hidden snags and pitfalls along the way.
- How do you deal with difficult grandchildren while avoiding the pitfalls of interfering or being over-critical?
2A covered pit for use as a trap.
- Well anyways, it was caught in a trap, a pitfall.
- If she accidentally stumbled across a trap or a pitfall, she would get out of the mess and warn everyone else of the danger.
- The summed total of three sampling days for each of the 12 pitfall traps (three traps at four tidal heights) was used for each year in subsequent statistical analyses.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.