- 1 Mathematics A significant zero in the decimal representation of a number.More example sentences
- The use of zero as a placeholder was probably first developed by the Babylonians, possibly as early as 1500 BCE.
- It emphasises the use of zero as a placeholder.
- 1.1A symbol or piece of text used in a mathematical expression or in an instruction in a computer program to denote a missing quantity or operator.More example sentences
- The HTML files contain placeholders for data that will be substituted in at runtime.
- With the Impress files created, I needed to replace my graphic image placeholders with the actual image.
- But even users of low-end databases can benefit from using placeholders because they ensure strings will be quoted correctly, even if they contain quotation marks or apostrophes.
- 2 Linguistics An element of a sentence that is required by syntactic constraints but carries little or no semantic information, for example the word it as a subject in it is a pity that she left, where the true subject is that she left.More example sentences
- According to this model, readers process text in parallel at several levels of analysis, which mesh the ease of identification with the role of function words as structural placeholders.
- The it in suffice it to say is an impersonal or indefinite pronoun, one that functions as a grammatical placeholder without supplying much real meaning.
More definitions of placeholderDefinition of placeholder in:
- The US English dictionary