Definition of placing in English:
1 [mass noun] The action of putting something in position or the fact of being positioned: the placing of the lights
More example sentences
- Then there is field placing; you can position a fielder such that you are not expecting them to take a catch or save runs but merely to make the batsman play differently.
- Careful placing of pillows may help with positioning.
- His placing of the location of numerous Gothic, Celtic, and other early manuscripts is a virtual travel guide to Old and Middle English biblical manuscripts.
1.1The action of making an order.
- Turnaround times, from the placing of an order to the issuing of the tags, were generally no more than a week and in no case of an approved supplier did turnaround exceed 10 days.
- The placing of an order expresses acceptance of our Terms of Business.
2 (usually placings) A ranking one is given during or after a sports race or other competition: the final placings saw them three points ahead
More example sentences
- I found the choice of finalists and the final placings surprising personally, but there were compensations.
- The next £2.25m is dependent on final league placings and the remaining half of the amount is hitched to number of TV appearances.
- The men's team finished in a lowly ninth position - their worst placing for 36 years - after losing four of their six games in Athens.
3A post that is found for a job-seeker.
- He gave as his official reason for resigning his frustration at what he saw as the chief secretary's post being made redundant by the placing of political appointees in the ministry.
- Our future manning documents must ensure that the placing of warrant officers in the structure allows the best use and maintenance of their technical skills.
- Those basic risks and unique problems cannot be alleviated or removed and can only be addressed by the placing of permanent firefighting staff around the clock.
4A sale or new issue of a large quantity of shares.
- It has been muddling through with sub- £1m share placings and the sale of warrants, but a bigger placing is now being mooted.
- Moreover much of the cost of acquiring Northern Bank - if it becomes available - can be met from surplus capital and will probably require only a modest placing of shares.
- On December 23, 1983, the company authorised a placing of 2.5 million shares at £6.
Words that rhyme with placingbracing, casing, facing, lacing, self-effacing, spacing, tracing
Definition of placing in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan