A free-living flatworm which has a three-branched intestine and a tubular pharynx, typically located halfway down the body.
- Order Tricladida, class Turbellaria: Planaria and other genera
More example sentences
- The mostly free-living Turbellaria include the planarian, Dugesia, shown above; these are found in the oceans, in fresh water, and in moist terrestrial habitats, and a few are parasitic.
- Some animals also show great ability to regenerate: small fragments of animals such as starfish, planarians, and Hydra can give rise to a whole animal.
- We then conducted competitive hybridization experiments of cDNAs between a head portion and the other body portion of planarians in order to screen genes specifically expressed in a planarian brain.
mid 19th century: from modern Latin Planaria (feminine of Latin planarius 'lying flat') + -ian.
Definition of planarian in:
- The US English dictionary