Definition of planetesimal in English:
A minute planet; a body which could come together with many others under gravitation to form a planet.
- Asteroids are small bodies in space - the numerous leftover planetesimals from which the planets were made nearly 4.6 billion years ago.
- Although planets, moons and planetesimals may seem to be very different astronomically, their common origin shows that this is not so.
- As planetesimals grow still larger, their gravitational attraction increases, allowing them to become even more effective at accreting nearby planetesimals.
adjectiveBack to top
Denoting or relating to planetesimals: the planetesimal material orbiting the sun
More example sentences
- Models of planetesimal disks suggest that low relative velocities between the bodies produce accretion (objects hit and stay together) rather than fragmentation (objects break up and disperse).
- His greatest contribution, however, was his planetesimal hypothesis of the origin of the planets.
- After all, planetesimal sized portions of the Solar System cannot be considered to be orbiting the Earth, except in the obvious case of the Moon.
Early 20th century: from planet, on the pattern of infinitesimal.
Definition of planetesimal in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.