noun (plural plasmodesmata /-mətə/)Botany
- A narrow thread of cytoplasm that passes through the cell walls of adjacent plant cells and allows communication between them.More example sentences
- The unstained region around the periphery of most cells was almost certainly an artefact of plasmolysis, indicated by occasional contact points between plasmalemma and cell wall plasmodesmata.
- Plant learning increases vasculature and increased communication between cells through plasmodesmata.
- Hence, stromules may possibly be considered as organellar analogues of plasmodesmata, the cytoplasmic connections that join plant cells in many tissues.
early 20th century: from German Plasmodesma, from late Latin plasma 'mould, formation' + Greek desma 'bond, fetter'.
More definitions of plasmodesmaDefinition of plasmodesma in:
- The US English dictionary