Entry from US English dictionary
Therapy in which emotionally disturbed children are encouraged to act out their fantasies and express their feelings through play, aided by a therapist’s interpretations.
- Family therapists can utilize techniques from both family therapy and play therapy as an effective way to include children as part of the therapeutic process.
- Three theoretical approaches were the most frequently ranked as panelists' first choice: Structural family therapy, child play therapy, and an integrative approach.
- Since the 1950s, the disciplines of family therapy and play therapy have developed simultaneously but separately.
play therapist noun
- Example sentences
- She commented to the play therapist, ‘I felt like it all really happened.’
- The parent's role is modeled after that of a child-centered play therapist.
- The play therapist is a member of the team and notes behavior and attitudes that contribute to the team's understanding of the child.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: play ther·a·py
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.