- (Of a crystal) absorbing different wavelengths of light differently depending on the direction of incidence of the rays or their plane of polarization, often resulting in the appearance of different colours according to the direction of view.More example sentences
- Crystals are strongly pleochroic, resulting in distinctly different colors when viewed in different optic directions.
- It generally occurs as euhedral-subhedral hexagonal books, which commonly display a mottled green-brown pleochroic appearance.
- The crystals lacked the characteristic pleochroic color scheme of piemontite.
- More example sentences
- Biotite occurs as interstitial grains with strong pleochroism from light yellowish-green to dark brown.
- These produced iolite gems with excellent transparency and pleochroism; they weighed 0.5, 1.0, and 1.49 carats.
- Cordierite is often referred to as dichorite because of its strong pleochroism, which produces gemstones that appear to change shades of color, depending on the viewing angle.
More definitions of pleochroicDefinition of pleochroic in:
- The US English dictionary