Definition of pleurisy in English:
noun[mass noun] Medicine
Inflammation of the pleurae, which impairs their lubricating function and causes pain when breathing. It is caused by pneumonia and other diseases of the chest or abdomen.
- He learned to recognize pneumonia, bronchiectasis, pleurisy, emphysema, pneumothorax, phthisis, and other lung diseases from the sounds he heard with his stethoscope.
- I accept her evidence that recurring pneumonia and pleurisy and an arthritic condition significantly interfered with that effort in the spring of 2002.
- The sole patient with benign pleural disease showing a mediastinal pleural involvement on MRI was identified pathologically as tuberculous pleurisy.
- Example sentences
- Pleural tuberculosis often is an acute illness with cough, pleuritic chest pain, fever, or dyspnea.
- Symptoms during 18 other procedures (including cough, dyspnea, pleuritic chest pain and a combination of these symptoms) raised the suspicion of pneumothorax.
- Patients may be asymptomatic or may present in a subacute fashion with fever, nonproductive cough, pleuritic chest pain, dyspnea, hemoptysis, and weight loss.
Words that rhyme with pleurisycuracy
Definition of pleurisy in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.