Definition of pleurisy in English:
noun[mass noun] Medicine
Inflammation of the pleurae, which impairs their lubricating function and causes pain when breathing. It is caused by pneumonia and other diseases of the chest or abdomen.
- He learned to recognize pneumonia, bronchiectasis, pleurisy, emphysema, pneumothorax, phthisis, and other lung diseases from the sounds he heard with his stethoscope.
- I accept her evidence that recurring pneumonia and pleurisy and an arthritic condition significantly interfered with that effort in the spring of 2002.
- The sole patient with benign pleural disease showing a mediastinal pleural involvement on MRI was identified pathologically as tuberculous pleurisy.
- Example sentences
- Pleural tuberculosis often is an acute illness with cough, pleuritic chest pain, fever, or dyspnea.
- Symptoms during 18 other procedures (including cough, dyspnea, pleuritic chest pain and a combination of these symptoms) raised the suspicion of pneumothorax.
- Patients may be asymptomatic or may present in a subacute fashion with fever, nonproductive cough, pleuritic chest pain, dyspnea, hemoptysis, and weight loss.
Definition of pleurisy in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan