(also a pair of pliers)
- Pincers with parallel, flat, and typically serrated surfaces, used chiefly for gripping small objects or bending wire: a pair of pliersMore example sentences
- With pliers, bend the wire ends back into the button so they won't snag the garment fabric.
- Picking up a pair of discarded pliers he snipped two wires and replaced some of the others.
- Right next to his corpse, electric wires, clippers, pliers, and screwdrivers lie strewn across the sidewalk.
mid 16th century: from dialect ply 'bend', from French plier 'to bend', from Latin plicare 'to fold'.
More definitions of pliersDefinition of pliers in:
- The US English dictionary