Definition of plunger in English:
1A part of a device or mechanism that works with a plunging or thrusting movement.
- Invert the syringe (point tip upwards) and slowly press the plunger to a level that pushed out any large air bubbles that may be present.
- I could instantly see how the tea was progressing, and the plunger kept the leaves out of the way until the pot was drained.
- I may have to invest in a small coffee plunger, so I can froth my own milk.
1.1A device consisting of a rubber cup on a long handle, used to clear blocked pipes by means of suction.
- Take a suction cup plunger and pump it up and down directly over the clogged drain.
- Force as much water as possible out of traps with a plunger.
- Insert the plunger at an angle so no air is trapped under the cup.
2 informal A person who gambles or spends money recklessly: he is a plunger when it comes to spending money for news
More example sentences
- This was a race for the plungers, the speculators, the people who trade commodities and bet the house that the price of nutmeg will skyrocket.
- Our man braved the winter elements to report on the event and capture some of the plungers on camera.
- Not often do plungers sprinkle their market fixations with references to Dante and Homer.
Definition of plunger in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India