- 1A part of a device or mechanism that works with a plunging or thrusting movement.More example sentences
- Invert the syringe (point tip upwards) and slowly press the plunger to a level that pushed out any large air bubbles that may be present.
- I could instantly see how the tea was progressing, and the plunger kept the leaves out of the way until the pot was drained.
- I may have to invest in a small coffee plunger, so I can froth my own milk.
- 1.1A device consisting of a rubber cup on a long handle, used to clear blocked pipes by means of suction.More example sentences
- Take a suction cup plunger and pump it up and down directly over the clogged drain.
- Force as much water as possible out of traps with a plunger.
- Insert the plunger at an angle so no air is trapped under the cup.
- 2 • informal A person who gambles or spends money recklessly: he is a plunger when it comes to spending money for newsMore example sentences
- This was a race for the plungers, the speculators, the people who trade commodities and bet the house that the price of nutmeg will skyrocket.
- Our man braved the winter elements to report on the event and capture some of the plungers on camera.
- Not often do plungers sprinkle their market fixations with references to Dante and Homer.
More definitions of plungerDefinition of plunger in:
- The US English dictionary