Definition of pluralism in English:
1A condition or system in which two or more states, groups, principles, sources of authority, etc., coexist.
- The crisis raises serious questions of the ethics of democratic co-existence and religious pluralism vis-a-vis the state.
- Even discussing theology and religion is a new phenomenon that emerged only in the conditions of religious pluralism.
- Perhaps the most evident aspect of post-modernism when some attempt to apply it to Christianity is the emphasis on this cultural pluralism as the defining principle of faith in practice.
1.1A political theory or system of power-sharing among a number of political parties.
- The mushrooming of political parties, syndicates, and newspapers signals a nascent political pluralism upon which democracy can be built.
- Also it was argued that state funding of parties would promote political pluralism.
- Influenced by emerging national movements and demands for political pluralism, Slovenia held its first party elections in 1990.
1.2A theory or system of devolution and autonomy for individual bodies in preference to monolithic state control.
- He preached pluralism, by which he meant the autonomy of organizations such as broadcasting bodies, parties, and trade unions, while affirming the need for a strong centralized state.
- The old liberal pluralism holds that each of us has rights as an individual: this is the idea that has animated social progress for generations.
- I admire the pluralism of postmodern cities that arises from the personal autonomy that comes with privatized beliefs-but that is not possible and will not be possible for most of the world.
1.4 Philosophy A theory or system that recognizes more than one ultimate principle. Compare with monism.
- Pluralism is a competency, not just mere subjective relativism, but ethical pluralism.
- Both suggest the need for pluralism - recognizing the diverse knowledges and interests involved.
- Philosophically, pluralism rests on the assumption that ultimate reality is many, multiple, that is, more than one or two.
Definition of pluralism in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.