noun[treated as singular]
A form of exercise that involves rapid and repeated stretching and contracting of the muscles, designed to increase strength.
More example sentences
- What he's done is mix and match an unusual assortment of resistance-training exercises, plyometrics and cardio work into a sophisticated fat-burning-circuit approach that takes less than an hour to complete.
- Me and my dad and my buddy Phil all work out together, doing plyometrics, running, weights, stuff like that, just staying in shape.
- In the gym I tend to do a lot of plyometrics and explosive work because a lot of fencing is about footwork and changing the rhythm.
1970s: from Greek plio 'more' + metric1.
- More example sentences
- Before any plyometric drill is started, it is important for the athlete to already be warmed up and not suffering from any leg or knee injury.
- You can also add plyometric training to your workout.
- For this workout, you'll perform a different combination of plyometric exercises and variations on Olympic lifts.