noun (plural pneumococci /-ˈkɒk(s)ʌɪ, -ˈkɒk(s)iː/)
- A bacterium associated with pneumonia and some forms of meningitis.
More example sentences
- Streptococcus pneumoniae, a Gram-positive diplococcus
- The bacteria pneumococcus, with more than 90 serotypes, is a common pathogen with many unknowns.
- These scientists have recently discovered that a significant proportion of pneumonia in children is not caused by a virus, but by a bacterium - the pneumococcus.
- The pneumococcus, a bacterium, is responsible for about a third of community pneumonia cases.
- More example sentences
- The pneumococcal bacterium is the second most common cause of bacterial meningitis.
- But these same kind of bacteria, pneumococcal bacteria, also help cause ear infections, or otitis media.
- Septicaemia, particularly pneumococcal and meningococcal, may be associated with widespread thrombosis.
More definitions of pneumococcusDefinition of pneumococcus in:
- The US English dictionary