Definition of poet in English:
1A person who writes poems.
- The radio play became an art form in its own right and attracted novelists and poets as well as dramatists.
- The two are linked by Heinrich Heine, the German poet whose writing spawned them.
- I'm tempted to say that we have a good number of poets who can write but cannot read.
1.1A person possessing special powers of imagination or expression: he is more poet than academic because of his gift for language
More example sentences
- And those who translate such works into English today tend to be academics rather than poets.
- The story of this disaster was developed by the imagination of numerous poets.