Definition of point source in English:
1 Physics A source of energy, such as light or sound, which can be regarded as having negligible dimensions.
- That is why we often speak of the planetary ‘disk’ in astronomy: even under slight magnification the human eye interprets a planet as a 2 dimensional source of light and not a point source.
- Whenever an advancing wavefront of light encounters a barrier in which there is a hole, this hole acts as if it were a point source of light, with radiation of the same wavelength moving beyond the barrier away from the hole.
- Illuminance is the measurement of how bright a point source of light appears to the eye.
2A localized and stationary source of pollution. Compare with non-point source.
- However, in a British study in which the authors compared a population living around a point source of air pollution with a control population, no increase in the prevalence of low birth-weight was evident in the polluted area.
- If the pesticide - toxic by definition - got into the stream, didn't the spray nozzle on the helicopter count as a point source of pollution, just like a factory pipe?
- The simulation showed that under still and convective conditions the vapours emitted by a point source rapidly form stationary envelopes around the leaves.
Definition of point source in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.