Definition of polarimeter in English:
An instrument for measuring the polarization of light, and especially for determining the effect of a substance in rotating the plane of polarization of light.
- A major difficulty in using microscopes for polarimeters is that most polarimeters purposely only collect light from a very small angle
- For example, the effect of acids and salts on a solution of an optically active substance such as nicotine could be followed by observing the rotation of the plane of polarised light through a polarimeter.
- PDR Chiral make advanced laser polarimeters, but their site not just a glorified sales pitch for their instruments, as is so often the case with commercial web sites.
- Example sentences
- Several difficulties arise from using a conventional light microscope for polarimetric studies.
- We put these principles to work when we designed and built a waveplate for a spectropolarimeter and polarimetric filtergraph being built by Lockheed Martin Solar and Astrophysics Laboratory (Palo Alto, CA) under contract to NASA.
- In the lab, however, people are now using more polarimetric techniques because they let them calculate all polarization states.
- Example sentences
- Precision control of polarization is increasingly important in disciplines such as solar polarimetry, optical communications, biomedical imaging, military target identification, chemical analysis, and wavelength filtering.
- In addition to polarimetry, analyzing the spectrum of a Type Ia supernova during the rising part of its light curve can reveal specific information about its elemental composition.
- We studied polarimetry with wide-band filters and a simple instrument that took us six months to calibrate.
Definition of polarimeter in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.