- The art of painting in several colours, especially as applied to ancient pottery, sculpture, and architecture: as a sculptor he experimented with polychromyMore example sentences
- Cennini's treatise describes methods for polychromy which can be recognized in surviving medieval polychromed sculpture, and generally its function was to add naturalistic colour to sculptures.
- Notable are three heads, finely carved and preserving traces of their original polychromy, found in the great sanctuary of Serapis, the dynastic patron deity, at Memphis.
- From twelfth-century Auvergne comes a powerful Enthroned Virgin and Child, carved in walnut and with traces of what may well be original polychromy, on show courtesy of Paris dealer Bresset.
More definitions of polychromyDefinition of polychromy in:
- The US English dictionary