- 1The practice or custom of having more than one wife or husband at the same time.More example sentences
- Polyandry (multiple husbands) has recently been abolished; the practice of polygamy is legal provided the first wife grants her consent.
- In 1904 church President Joseph F. Smith presented a second manifesto that disciplined those who continued to practice polygamy or perform plural marriages.
- Some wealthy Tuareg men practice polygamy (having more than one wife at the same time).
- 1.1 Zoology A pattern of mating in which an animal has more than one mate.More example sentences
- Mating systems characterized by restricted breeding seasons, male polygamy, and female monogamy are common among animals.
- For example, species without care or with uniparental care are expected to show higher levels of polygamy than do species with biparental care.
- Evening Grosbeaks are generally monogamous, although when there is an unusually plentiful food supply, polygamy can occur.
- 1.2 Botany The condition of bearing some flowers with stamens only, some with pistils only, and some with both, on the same or different plants.More example sentences
- In plants, polygamy means the co-occurrence and function of monosexual and bisexual individuals in a population.
- Circumstances show that matrimony is something good for people, and circumstances likewise justify polygamy for plants and animals.
- More example sentences
- Most of the estimated 30,000 people practising polygamy in the West trace their roots to early Mormon doctrine, although the church abandoned the practice in 1890 and excommunicates polygamists.
- Admittedly, traditional marriage counselling has done wonders for some, but there are also accomplished and articulate polygamists you can turn to for excellent advice as well.
- From the London Sunday Times, we learn that Muslim polygamists may get special tax breaks in Britain.
late 16th century: from French polygamie, via late Latin from Greek polugamia, from polugamos 'often marrying'.
More definitions of polygamyDefinition of polygamy in:
- The US English dictionary