Definition of polygamy in English:
1The practice or custom of having more than one wife or husband at the same time.
- Polyandry (multiple husbands) has recently been abolished; the practice of polygamy is legal provided the first wife grants her consent.
- In 1904 church President Joseph F. Smith presented a second manifesto that disciplined those who continued to practice polygamy or perform plural marriages.
- Some wealthy Tuareg men practice polygamy (having more than one wife at the same time).
1.1 Zoology A pattern of mating in which an animal has more than one mate.
- Mating systems characterized by restricted breeding seasons, male polygamy, and female monogamy are common among animals.
- For example, species without care or with uniparental care are expected to show higher levels of polygamy than do species with biparental care.
- Evening Grosbeaks are generally monogamous, although when there is an unusually plentiful food supply, polygamy can occur.
1.2 Botany The condition of bearing some flowers with stamens only, some with pistils only, and some with both, on the same or different plants.
- In plants, polygamy means the co-occurrence and function of monosexual and bisexual individuals in a population.
- Circumstances show that matrimony is something good for people, and circumstances likewise justify polygamy for plants and animals.
Late 16th century: from French polygamie, via late Latin from Greek polugamia, from polugamos 'often marrying'.
Words that rhyme with polygamybigamy, trigamy
Definition of polygamy in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.