- 1 Zoology Relating to or resembling a polyp or hydra: a polypoid colonial formMore example sentences
- These attributes are obliterated when it undergoes metamorphosis into a sessile polypoid adult.
- In its microstructure and gross anatomy, Hyolithelius is most similar to Byronia and to thecae of polypoid coronalids.
- Byronia is most similar to thecae of polypoid coronalids, an extant group of scyphozoans that have been allied with conulariids.
- 1.1Relating to or denoting the polyp stage in the life cycle of a coelenterate. Also called hydroid. Compare with medusoid.More example sentences
- A life cycle including both polypoid and medusoid phases that can be separate in space and scarcely overlapping in time characterizes many hydrozoans and most scyphozoans.
- The polypoid stage represents the asexual phase of its life cycle.
- 2 Medicine (Of a growth) resembling or in the form of a polyp: a benign polypoid lesionMore example sentences
- Laryngoscopy revealed a polypoid lesion implanting on the anterior aspect of the subglottic cone.
- Physical examination revealed a polypoid lesion at the right margin of the tongue.
- Physical examination revealed a pedunculated polypoid mass measuring 0.5 cm in greatest dimension involving the midanterior two thirds of the right tongue blade.
More definitions of polypoidDefinition of polypoid in:
- The US English dictionary