Definition of pomelo in English:
noun (plural pomelos)
1The largest of the citrus fruits, with a thick yellow skin and bitter pulp which resembles grapefruit in flavour. Also called shaddock.
- Slightly larger and heavier than its sister ‘Oroblanco’, ‘Melogold’ expresses more of its pummelo than grapefruit heritage.
- In fact the grapefruit is simply a hybrid between a pomelo and an orange.
- Melogolds and Oroblancos are different hybrids from pummelo and grapefruit parents.
2The tree which bears the pomelo.
- Citrus maxima, family Rutaceae
- After the fall of the Roman Empire the Arabs cultivated and disseminated the bitter orange, pomelo, lime, and sweet orange, between the 12th and 15th centuries.
- Since the plants are not that profitable Im planning to plant some fruit bearing trees like rambutan, durian or pomelo in between crops.
mid 19th century: of unknown origin.
Words that rhyme with pomelouniflow
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan