A herbaceous plant with showy flowers, milky sap, and rounded seed capsules. Many poppies contain alkaloids and are a source of drugs such as morphine and codeine.
- Papaver and other genera, family Papaveraceae (the poppy family): many species, including the wild red-flowered corn poppy (P. rhoeas). The poppy family also includes the corydalis, greater celandine, and bloodroot
- Plants like peonies, poppies, and irises should also be planted in the fall season.
- There will be colourful flowers, such as poppies to look at and smell, prickly plants and vegetables to eat.
- We tried cheerful annuals, marigolds, nasturtiums and poppies.
- Example sentences
- The heavily poppied hills lie further north by the Wa headquarters at Panghsang, along the border with China's Yunnan province.
- Once over the mountains, we headed south, down the poppied fields of the golden and notorious Bekaa Valley.
adjective (poppier, poppiest)
(Of popular music) tuneful and immediately appealing: catchy, poppy tunes
More example sentences
- It's your standard fare of poppy dance music with a vocalist whose R&B stylings come through her voice.
- He pushed a button on a small remote in his hand, and some annoying poppy music started playing.
- These dozen folk-punk songs swing with an infectious rhythm and rollicking, poppy beat.