Definition of poriferan in English:
An aquatic invertebrate animal of the phylum Porifera; a sponge.
- With a worldwide fauna of at least 15,000 species, poriferans are among the most diverse of sessile marine taxa.
- In all cases, poriferans have a canal system, through which they pump water.
- The first seems to have occurred before the split between poriferans and the other metazoans.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to or denoting poriferans.
- In that time, the first undoubted fossil annelids, arthropods, brachiopods, echinoderms, molluscs, onychophorans, poriferans, and priapulids show up in rocks all over the world.
- For that matter, even the syncytial ‘gut’ departs further from the cnidarian or poriferan system than from the bilaterian archenteron.
- Between 1859 and 1866, he worked on many ‘invertebrate’ groups, including radiolarians, poriferans and annelids (segmented worms).
Definition of poriferan in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan