Definition of postorbital in English:
Situated at the back of the orbit or eye socket, in particular denoting a process of the frontal bone which in some reptiles forms a separate bone.
- The postorbital process of the frontal bone is sharp.
- The skull of a colugo is very distinctive, broad and flat in outline and with a nearly complete postorbital process that sets off the eye sockets.
- All artiodactyls have a postorbital bar or process.
nounBack to top
A postorbital bone.
- The capitate processes are small and visible through the supratemporal fenestrae dorsally, fitting within fossae in the postorbitals.
- Lateral processes for the postorbitals are short, and a broad sutural contact with the laterosphenoid occurs within the supratemporal space.
- Again, there may be individual variation and some exceptions, but the general rule is six bones: three operculars, the squamosal, a postorbital, and any posterior process of the lacrimojugal.
Definition of postorbital in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan