Definition of postpone in English:
Cause or arrange for (something) to take place at a time later than that first scheduled: the visit had to be postponed for some time [with present participle]: he postponed implementing the scheme until industry and business were consulted
More example sentences
- To my surprise she now seemed to believe my problems and was considering postponing my death sentence.
- Meanwhile the council is planning to postpone the introduction of recycling schemes for flats.
- Worries about crime led councillors to postpone a decision on a leisure trail on a former railway.
put off, delay, defer, put back, hold over/off, carry over, reschedule, adjourn, stay, shelve, stand over, pigeonhole, keep in abeyance, suspend, mothball;
North American put over, table, take a rain check on;
North American Law continue
informal put on ice, put on the back burner, put in cold storage
late 15th century: from Latin postponere, from post 'after' + ponere 'to place'.
- Example sentences
- In addition, there is the Treasury pressure, acute at the moment, to look critically at all avoidable or postponable expenditure (there is a war, of uncertain scope and duration, to be paid for).
- The Institute of Health and Welfare estimates that 80 per cent of health related conditions in old age are preventable or postponable if corrected in time.
- Increasingly, the kinds of memory problems that have long been seen as inevitable with age are now thought to be avoidable - or at least postponable.
- Example sentences
- The postponers are those who refuse to make a decision, allowing relationships, professional commitments and finally nature to make the choice for them.
- This suggests that the postponers intend to work, but somehow get sidetracked.
- So I say to my fellow postponers - be proud, be productive, be a procrastinator!
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia