- A candidate, especially one seeking admission into a religious order.More example sentences
- The discussion concerns postulants and candidates for holy orders, more particularly those who aspire to ordained ministry as vocational or permanent deacons.
- In order to be accepted as a postulant in a religious community, I must be free of all financial obligations.
- On entering the order, postulants spend much of the first year in Killarney, with periods in the Franciscans' base in Osterley in England.
mid 18th century: from French postulant or Latin postulant- 'asking', from the verb postulare (see postulate).
More definitions of postulantDefinition of postulant in:
- The US English dictionary