noun[mass noun] Physics
- The energy possessed by a body by virtue of its position relative to others, stresses within itself, electric charge, and other factors. Compare with kinetic energy.More example sentences
- Ah, the joys of watching gravitational potential energy convert into kinetic energy.
- The molecules convert their kinetic energy into potential energy when they rise into the air just like the ball did.
- He criticised Descartes' ideas of mechanics and examined what are effectively kinetic energy, potential energy and momentum.
More definitions of potential energyDefinition of potential energy in:
- The US English dictionary