Talk foolishly or at tedious length about something: I sat in my pew and heard him prate on for at least an hour and a half
More example sentences
- Our culture is riven with ambiguity; we prate of our history but erase anything inconvenient from our collective hard-drive.
- As late as December, 1997 he was prating to MPs about the need for water in Scotland ‘to remain unambiguously in public ownership and to be clearly democratically accountable’.
- How we dare even prate about democracy is beyond me.
noun ( rare)
- Example sentences
- Your mother most certainly did not want you in contact with that prissy prater!
- But if the bawler - I made a slip, I meant to say prater - as they so often do, begins some old wives' tale, everybody awakens, straightens up, and gapes for it.
Words that rhyme with prateabate, ablate, aerate, ait, await, backdate, bait, bate, berate, castrate, collate, conflate, crate, create, cremate, date, deflate, dictate, dilate, distraite, donate, downstate, eight, elate, equate, estate, fate, fête, fixate, freight, frustrate, gait, gate, gestate, gradate, grate, great, gyrate, hate, hydrate, inflate, innate, interrelate, interstate, irate, Kate, Kuwait, lactate, late, locate, lustrate, mandate, mate, migrate, misdate, misstate, mistranslate, mutate, narrate, negate, notate, orate, ornate, Pate, placate, plate, prorate, prostrate, pulsate, pupate, quadrate, rate, rotate, sate, sedate, serrate, short weight, skate, slate, spate, spectate, spruit, stagnate, state, straight, strait, Tate, tête-à-tête, Thwaite, translate, translocate, transmigrate, truncate, underrate, understate, underweight, update, uprate, upstate, up-to-date, vacate, vibrate, wait, weight
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: prate
Definition of prate in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.