Definition of pray in English:
1Address a prayer to God or another deity: the whole family are praying for Michael
More example sentences
- People pray to these deities because they have an adoration for the deity and have a feeling of awe about it.
- So my advice is: pray more, sin less and live the life that God is calling you to live.
- We can discharge this obligation by simply praying for him as we pray for our dear ones and our own very selves.
1.1Wish or hope strongly for a particular outcome or situation: after several days of rain, we were praying for sun [with clause]: I prayed that James wouldn’t notice
More example sentences
- Meg watched as twenty girls held their breaths, hoping and praying for their name to be called.
- I consumed a truly scrumptious chilliburger and hoped, no prayed, that there would be a toilet or pub on the route.
- It was one of those situations when you prayed that everything would be alright but feared what could happen.
adverbformal or , archaic Back to top
Words that rhyme with prayaffray, agley, aka, allay, Angers, A-OK, appellation contrôlée, array, assay, astray, au fait, auto-da-fé, away, aweigh, aye, bay, belay, betray, bey, Bombay, Bordet, boulevardier, bouquet, brae, bray, café au lait, Carné, cassoulet, Cathay, chassé, chevet, chez, chiné, clay, convey, Cray, crème brûlée, crudités, cuvée, cy-pres, day, decay, deejay, dégagé, distinguée, downplay, dray, Dufay, Dushanbe, eh, embay, engagé, essay, everyday, faraway, fay, fey, flay, fray, Frey, fromage frais, gainsay, Gaye, Genet, giclee, gilet, glissé, gray, grey, halfway, hay, heigh, hey, hooray, Hubei, Hué, hurray, inveigh, jay, jeunesse dorée, José, Kay, Kaye, Klee, Kray, Lae, lay, lei, Littré, Lough Neagh, lwei, Mae, maguey, Malay, Mallarmé, Mandalay, Marseilles, may, midday, midway, mislay, misplay, Monterrey, Na-Dene, nay, né, née, neigh, Ney, noway, obey, O'Dea, okay, olé, outlay, outplay, outstay, outweigh, oyez, part-way, pay, Pei, per se, pince-nez, play, portray, prey, purvey, qua, Quai d'Orsay, Rae, rangé, ray, re, reflet, relevé, roman-à-clef, Santa Fé, say, sei, Shar Pei, shay, slay, sleigh, sley, spae, spay, Spey, splay, spray, stay, straightaway, straightway, strathspey, stray, Sui, survey, sway, Taipei, Tay, they, today, tokay, Torbay, Tournai, trait, tray, trey, two-way, ukiyo-e, underlay, way, waylay, Wei, weigh, wey, Whangarei, whey, yea
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.