1(Of a young bird or other animal) hatched or born in an advanced state and able to feed itself almost immediately. Also called nidifugous. Often contrasted with altricial.
- Young in precocial birds that are fed by their parents also engage in vocal and postural begging displays.
- The young are precocial and are tended by both parents.
- Males leave the females soon after incubation begins, and females provide uniparental care for precocial young.
1.1(Of a particular species) having precocial young.
- Lack proposed that for species with precocial young, mean clutch size is determined by the average amount of nutrients available to females at the time of egg production.
- We predicted that species with precocial newborn should have synchronized births as an antipredator strategy.
Words that rhyme with precocialasocial, psychosocial, social
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: pre|co¦cial
Definition of precocial in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.